Some people think that caregiving is a job that causes depression. So, they are always reluctant to share caregiving responsibilities. However, this is not the truth. It is the continuous guilt of not doing enough to provide the best possible care to loved ones that caregivers started to feel depressed. Depression is also triggered by many other factors, such as lack of family support, aggressive behavior of the care recipient, and a sense of isolation. The sad part is that many of the caregivers fail to notice the initial symptoms and could not seek help from others. They choose to ignore the symptoms of depression as admitting the same may be a sign of weakness. So, if you are a family caregiver, know the symptoms and of course, the remedies.
Symptoms of depression
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Sleep deprivation
- A feeling of exhaustion
- Loss of interest in pleasure activities
- Social withdrawal
- Lesser control on anger
- Feeling of guilt
- Suicidal thoughts
- Ongoing headache, digestive problems or pain
Remedies of depression
- Set goals for you that are realistic to have more time for self-care
- Try to delegate the tasks among other family members
- Break large tasks into smaller ones and do them one by one
- Try to squeeze out time for indulging in your hobbies
- Ensure you are eating a well-balanced diet
- Make sure to socialize and share your feelings
- Don’t hesitate to seek help from your loved ones
- Exercise regularly even if it for a few minutes
Remember, it is not possible to overcome depression all of a sudden. It will be a gradual process that will take time. Also, symptoms of depression may vary from one individual to another. So, if you experience the above symptoms for more than two weeks, you need to take any action to help yourself.
Although many people think that taking the membership of a caregiver coaching or reading books with positive thoughts will do little good, you can join a caregiver support group or caregiver coaching to thrive as a caregiver. Such support groups have countless experienced caregivers as members with whom you can communicate on social media platforms to share your concerns, fears, or experiences as a caregiver, which will make you, feel more valuable as an individual.
It is foremost to have a positive attitude to become a successful caregiver, but gradually the enthusiasm gets faded because of lack of support. Don’t let this happen to you and act fast! Are you at risk of caregiver burnout? take a burnout quiz and know your burnout level now.