Change is an expected part of our daily lives today. Dealing with it so that YOU control IT rather than vice versa is an important and positive force in controlling your life. Try a few of these tips.
- Accept what you cannot change. Take a tip from AA. Change what you can, if it bothers you. But, if you cannot change it, learn to live with it.
- Face up to your problems. Sort them out, and see which ones are real and which are simply imagined. Deal with them as they are, and not what you think they are.
- Deal with one problem at a time. Sort out your priorities, and deal with them in the order of their importance to you.
- Be flexible. Give in once and a while. If you do, others will too.
- Don’t hold all of your worries inside yourself—talk it out.Frequently we swallow our unhappiness (along with candy, cake, ice cream, etc.) because we can’t let the problems out. Talk to someone. A burden shared is much less of a burden.
- Work off Stress. Physical outlets for stress help your body to fight off many of the negative results of stress.
- Get enough rest/relaxation/sleep.Give your body a chance to recover from day to day. Lack of sleep and rest will only make matters worse for you.
- Avoid “self medication.” A “spoonful of sugar” may make the “medicine go down,” but it does your body no good. Sugar, alcohol, nicotine, and ice cream may all feel good going down, but they make matters worse— from the inside. They add to your body’s physical stresses, thus making dealing with external stresses much harder.
- “Take time to smell the roses.”Have some fun. Relax.
- Think about and do something for others.A little altruism never hurt. It even makes people feel better about themselves.
- Be the “captain of your ship.” If you are not happy with your life, think about what’s wrong or missing, and then plan the necessary actions to change it to coincide with your needs and desires for your life.
- Work on your relationships with those who share your life.Don’t hold back your feelings. Share them with your family and friends and co- corkers. It can help to decrease tensions.